Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Alan Axelrod Studies Washington's Trial by Fire



There's a book on the market (which I just bought) that takes a look at George Washington's "trial by fire" learning experience in the French and Indian War. Interestingly, the book focuses on Washington's life up until his humiliating defeat at Fort Necessity. It then only briefly mentions his redemptive heroism at Braddock's defeat.

While I've only skimmed the book, I can say that I'm looking forward to delving into it more deeply. This really was a pivotal time for George Washington. A great leader learns more from failure than success. And Washington's "blooding" at the "Great Meadows" certainly was a learning experience for him.

1 comment:

Brad Hart said...

I hope you will forgive my intrusion into your blog. This is my favorite time period in all of history, and I've been looking for others who share my interest.

I have not yet read this book, but have read several biographies on George Washington. I hear from several professors that this particular book that you mention is supposed to be good.

Nice blog by the way!